Sunday, February 26, 2012

Car Makes it 37 Miles to Gas Station


Tuscon, AZ – Miles Whalen was heading North on I-10 heading toward Phoenix when he missed exit 12.  “I was changing a song on my iPod so I missed the exit,” Whalen said.  “I knew I needed gas but it was just after the exit that my gas light came on,” he added.
The 2006 Dodge Charger that he was driving is known to get approximately 24 miles per gallon on the highway.  With the gas-light on and the next nearest gas station 37 miles away, Whalen needed a miracle.  He decided to incorporate the vehicles cruise control feature in attempt to increase gas mileage production.  He also turned off his music and his air conditioner. 
“For some reason, I didn’t have my AAA card either!  It was scary, man.  It was scary,” Whalen added.  As his travels continued, he veered off the next exit, 34 miles down the road, with his car still running. “I swear it [the gas tank] was below empty.  It reminded me of the parting of the Red Sea, a miracle!” Whalen proclaimed.   
Whatever it was that helped Whalen gain those extra 13 miles to the gas station without stalling, he and whatever family member or friend he would have called to help him, can be thankful. 

Update – After Dodge became aware of this story, it turns out this was not a miracle whatsoever, but in fact, it was an issue with the 2006 Charger.  A recall on the 2006 Dodge Charger fuel gauge is in effect.  It turns out Whalen had plenty of miles to go before he actually needed to get gas and was not even close to running out.  Again, this was not a miracle and in fact was solely a mechanical difficulty in his vehicle.  
      Actual Picture of Whalen's Gas Guage

1 comment: